Sheriff: Bomb threat suspect will face federal charges when arrested; school closed again
For the second time in two days, a bomb threat has been made to a Denver school, and classes have been canceled.
Lincoln County Sheriff David Carpenter said that an anonymous email was sent to the school between 6:30 and 7 a.m. today specifically naming the high school campus in Denver as the target for three backpacks of explosives that would detonate at 8 a.m.
School officials immediately notified parents of the threat, and school was canceled for the day. Buses enroute to school were rerouted. On Wednesday, all three campuses of Lincoln Charter School – in Denver and Lincolnton – were canceled because of another bomb threat.
No bombs were found on Wednesday, and nothing so far today, although law enforcement authorities are still on the Galway Lane scene, and a bomb-sniffing dog is being brought in to assist.
Sheriff Carpenter said that detectives have questioned a couple of suspects, but so far “nothing concrete” has developed. He said that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been assisting in the investigation, and he intends to call in the Federal Bureau of Investigation today to see if the agency can help solve the crimes.
“We need all the assistance we can get,” he said, noting that the person making the threats will face both federal and state charges.
“Law enforcement takes the threats as being real and follows up with a complete investigation,” said Sheriff Carpenter. “When the culprit or culprits are caught, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office will prosecute at the highest level possible including federal charges. It is a Class H Felony in North Carolina to make a bomb threat on a school,” he said.
Bomb threats were also reported this week at schools in Burke and Catawba counties.